Super Glue is a very strong adhesive. As a cyanoacrylate adhesive that bonds very fast and strong, it is difficult to separate things that are already bonded together by super glue. However, do not worry if you accidentally get this adhesive stick on your skin. You can remove super glue from your skin easily.
Usually you can remove the glue from your fingers or skin by soaking the affected skin in warm water. However if this method does not work you can use some organic solvent, such as acetone to remove it. You can find acetone on most of nail polish removers (make sure to check the label first because there are some nail polish removers that do not contain acetone). Other way, you can also buy pure acetone in home supplies or art supplies stores. Below you will find step by step instructions on how to remove superglue from skin.
What you will need:
– Warm water
– Hand soap
– Acetone ( or nail polish remover that contain acetone)
– Hand lotion
Step by step instructions to remove super glue from skin
1. Try not to pull the skin / fingers apart as this will only tear the skin.
2. Soak the fingers or affected skin in warm soapy water for several minutes. You may add some vinegar into the water to soften the glue. Try loosening the glue from your skin. You can use spoon or fingernail to push the skin apart. Slowly try to peel away the glue. If this method does not work, dry your skin and move on to the next step
3. Fill in a small bowl with acetone nail polish remover. Dip the fingers into the nail polish remover. You also can use a cotton swab to apply some acetone on the affected skin.
4. Wait for a several minutes until the acetone breaks the bond of the glue.
5. Wash you hands with soap and water once the glue is removed.
6. Since acetone is very drying to the skin, apply some hand lotion on you skin to restore the moisture.
Tips and advice
If your skin is bonded together, do not pull the skin apart because it will cause unnecessary pain.
Since acetone is actually toxic, you should try to apply it as little as possible. Do not inhale the acetone. Apply some hand lotion after removing glue with acetone because acetone dehydrates and de-fats skin.
If by accident you have superglue on you lips or eyelids or eyeball, do not use acetone! You should contact a physician immediately.
For sensitive skin, you can use margarine or olive oil instead of acetone. Rub margarine or olive oil on the affected area repeatedly until the super glue can be peeled away. It will take longer to remove the super glue, but it will be loosened over time.
The best way to avoid this troublesome is to remember to wear your gloves when you should work with super glue. It is much easier to remove super glue from your gloves rather than to remove it from your skin.