Most of the vacuum cleaner users always take care and is vigilant about using their vacuum cleaner but at some time or the other no matter how much careful you are; you may come across clogging of your canister vacuum. All the dirt, hair, dust and other clutter around your house may end up clogging your vacuum cleaner. A clogged vacuum cleaner would give you reduced or no suction power thus leading to ineffective cleaning of your house or workplace. No matter what is the cause of clogging, you need to identify the area that has been clogged and then you should work your way out for clearing up that space. Sometimes this problem may not be solved by yourself and you may need to call a technician. Thus here we have shared some guidelines with the help of which you can clear up your clogged canister vacuum and thus would save time and cost.
Steps for dealing with clogged vacuum
These steps users can easily follow by themselves:
- First turn your canister vacuum on and have appliance setting adjusted with use of hose. In case if there is no suction power or if power breaks down, there may be some problem with your vacuum power cable. Check for any damage and arrange for replacement if required.
- Once you have checked power and have tested suction coming from the vacuum cleaner. Now you can begin solving the problem of clogging by identifying how much suction power has been reduced. We will move forward step by step for assessment of clogging problem area.
- Check the hose for any possible clogging. In order to do that you need to detach the hose from vacuum cleaner and held it perpendicular to ground. Hose is usually the area that gets clogged in a canister vacuum. Check with your eye and if you are unsure try passing a solid thing such as coin from hose. Make sure that the size is reasonable to pass through hose. If you find that the coin pass through hose without any hindrance it means that the hose is clear and there is no clogging in this area.
- If hose is not the problem area, you can now move to check the dust bag or chamber connection. Whether you have a bagged vacuum or a bagless, in both cases you should check the connection that lies between hose and the place for dust/dirt collection. Try to reach that area and feel for any clogging. If you find that there is some clogging, try to clear it up. If you are unable to clear it with hands, you may use a pipe cleaner with care for clearing it. Twist the hose to make sure that you end up clearing the area completely.
- Now that you have tried clearly up, reassemble these parts of canister vacuum to check. Reassemble and turn the power on. If the vacuum is offering complete suction power and is working properly then you have detected the problem area correctly. However even after clearing hose you are witnessing reduced suction power, you need to check further for problem area in your appliance. Be more vigilant and check other areas for possible signs of clogging by following these steps.
- Check canister vacuum bags and replace filled ones. Clogging of a canister vacuum can also be because of an over-filled dust bag. A completely filled dust bag would give you reduced suction and thus vacuum wouldn’t capture dirt and dust well. Vacuum cleaner operates with air passing through bag to capture particles. If the pores do not have any space to allow flow of air, your vacuum cleaner will suffer from intense pressure on its motor that hinders suction power and thus working of a cleaner. It is important to check dust bag and filters If the dust bag is filled more than half of its capacity, it is best to dispose all the dirt and dust before using vacuum cleaner. Filters and bag replacement must be done according to recommendations by manufacturer. If filters and bags are not problem areas, more to next step.
- Unplug appliance with the use of a screwdriver and remove cover that holds brush assembly. Place vacuum horizontally and look for any clogging of dirt, dust or hair under the area. Check all these areas with fingers and clear up any accumulated dirt. You can use a pipe cleaner for areas that you cannot clear with fingers.
- Now that you have checked the brush assembly and are satisfied with clearing it up. Reassemble it and check appliance again by turning the power on.
Now it’s time to take it to Repair Technician!
If you still aren’t getting desired suction power, there may be some technical issue with your vacuum cleaner and thus it would be better to call a technician. Avoid making efforts for solving technical issues as this job can be done best by a repair technician. You can contact local shops for repair that are located in your area to check if they can repair your vacuum cleaner model and make. If your cleaner is under warranty, you can check with your canister’s manufacturer for repair procedure. If there is no warranty and after checking with repair person you find that there is a larger problem that could cost you good amount, you can even check price for buying a new one and may consider replacement.
Important considerations for unclogging a canister vacuum
Dealing with unclogging of a canister vacuum, you need to take care and consider safety precautions in order to prevent from any permanent damage to the appliance or to harm yourself during the process of unclogging.
- If you have properly followed all the steps for identifying problem area and solving the issue and are unable to find any, there may be some technical problem with your canister and thus it best to call a repair technician. Avoid trying to solve any electrical faults or replacement of faulty parts. Trying to solve these issues on your own can give you a permanent damage. Check recommendations of manufacturer for replacement of parts in order to make your device last long.
- Avoid using water for the purpose of unclogging. After all your canister vacuum is an electrical appliance and thus use of water can be harmful for device. Follow operational manual for use of proper equipment. Unclogging can be done with hands and fingers and for difficult areas, you may use a pipe cleaner or handle of broom or any other things recommended in manual. Don’t use water as it could result in a hazardous accident with electrical shocks, short-circuit etc.
- One of the ideal ways of unclogging a blockage in your vacuum cleaner is to use another such appliance. If you have access to one more vacuum, you need connect its hose over end of your clogged cleaner and try sucking out the dirt. If sucking doesn’t work, you can reverse it to blow the dirt out and your canister may get unclogged.
If your vacuum cleaner is not performing at its 100% capacity then you may not be able to get desired functionality out of it. When you witness that vacuum cleaner is under performing, you must first check for its suction power and flow of air. We hope that the steps and tips we have shared here would prove good for you in solving clogging issue of your vacuum cleaner. A low suction power or a vacuum that has something stuck inside would be of no good to you. You should clear its passage and get rid of blockage from your canister vacuum. Vacuum cleaner would only perform well if it is maintained properly and is taken care of. Cleaning your vacuum cleaner frequently can reduce the risk of clogging. Regularly check bags and filters and arrange of clearing them up or for replacement as required and recommended. Follow these guidelines and you will be less likely to visit a professional repair technician for your vacuum cleaner and would be able to solve all minor non-technical issues on your own.