I read somewhere that female handbags and purses contain more germs than a toilet. This revelation, true or otherwise, would make anyone want to rush and clean his or her purses at once, I know it made me do it. Leather purses were among the ones that I had to clean. Most people have the mentality that leather bags are difficult to clean, well am about to show you how easy it is.
Table of Contents:
1. What you need to clean a leather purse
2. A systematic procedure
3. Additional tips and advises
What you need for the cleaning process
· 2 pieces of clean dry cloth
· A cotton ball or swab
· Rubbing alcohol
· Spray bottle
· Gentle liquid soap( body, face or baby wash)
· A sponge/soft rag/microfiber
· Leather protector or conditioner (water based)
A systematic procedure of the cleaning process
1. First, I must say, obvious as it may seem, empty your purse.
2. Shake the purse to let out loose dirt and then wipe the interiors with the dry soft cleaning cloth.
3. This is necessary if your leather purse has stains like grease and ink. For the grease, wipe with a dry cloth while for the ink stain, soak the cotton ball in rubbing alcohol then gently rub.
4. In the spray bottle, mix distilled water and a few drops of the gentle liquid soap, shake the mixture until suds form.
5. Spray the mixture onto the sponge/microfiber/soft rug.
6. Wipe the leather surface with the damp sponge/microfiber/soft rug. To protect the integrity of the leather, make sure you wipe along the grains of the leather.
7. Use the other dry cloth to dry any moisture left by the damp sponge, buff as you go to restore luster. A hair dryer can be used to dry as well, if you opt for this though, use the lowest heat possible to avoid spoiling your leather.
8. Treat the surface of your purse with the water based leather protector or conditioner.
Additional tips and advices.
· Before following any leather cleaning procedure, make sure you read the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions, just to be sure that they concur and you are not going against them.
· Buy leather conditioners and protectors and apply them to your purse since they lengthen the life of the leather and protect against stains spills. This will decrease the amount of maintenance you need for the purse. Furniture and leather clothing store are the places to find these products.
· Form a habit of spot testing cleaning methods in a discreet part before proceeding to use it on the entire purse. This will help you avoid applying methods that may otherwise damage your purse.
· Always try using alcohol free cleaning wipes, like baby wipes. These are not only safe for you leather but are less expensive and easy to carry around.
· Avoid using aggressive cleaners and detergents like saddle soap or bleach, as they may be too harsh and cause damage to the leather surface and discoloration.
· Never use any oil products to clean your leather purse since these give it a sticky feel and may damage the leather.