Do not wish to replace your carpets every year and would like to keep them from getting soiled with dust and dirty? What you need is an effective vacuum cleaner that could remove dust and other allergens from your carpet and as a result could give your carpet an extended life. Check cheap canister vacuums first to see if it has the features that your carpet needs for cleaning. It is recommended that if you have carpets all around your house, prefers a canister with HEPA filters that completely eradicates allergens, dirt and dust and keeps them from being released in air. Carpets must be vacuumed at least once a week to avoid clogging of dirt deep inside. In this section we have emphasized some of the tips for cleaning your carpet with a canister vacuum.
Preparation for Vacuuming
- Check the entire area that you would vacuum and pick up any objects that lie on the floor. The objects if not cleared may be clogged in your canister to cause damage.
- Make sure that the vacuum bag or bin is not full. Change or empty if it is even 3/4th full. If the dirt cup or bag is full would affect suction power of the vacuum.
- Same is the case with filters; a dirty filter vacuum will not give desired performance. Replace filters or wash. Check for washing or replacement options in your product instruction manual.
Steps for Vacuuming
- Begin to vacuum in forward direction; this would enable you to clean quicker without wearing out the vacuum power cord.
- Take overlapping strokes over a space to ensure that all the dirt and dust is removed.
- Occasionally change the direction of your vacuum to get minimized matting.
- For difficult to reach corners of your carpet, use crevice tool attachment for cleaning.
- Wave wand of your canister under furniture to get rid of dust particles.
- We recommend you to get a canister with combination bare floor and carpet brush or a rotating brush. It would effectively clean up your carpet and at the same time would clean well over your bare hard floor.
- If you have pets in the house and would have pet hair on your carpet, you can get a canister designed for cleaning of pet hair.
- Maintaining your carpet and floor is best possible by deep cleaning your carpet at least once a week with a canister vacuum in order to get rid of the dirt and dust that accumulates in carpet fibers.
- If you have high traffic carpeted areas, clean those areas twice a week and other carpets once a week. This would reduce build-up of soil in high traffic places.
- Light traffic carpets – clean weekly.
- Medium traffic carpets – clean twice a week.
- High traffic carpets or pet owners – clean daily.
- Run your vacuum slowly over carpet and take multiple turns in the same section to clean most effectively.
- Begin from corner and move further towards the exit with slow cleaning strokes.
- Make sure there are no straws, strings, coins or other items that may get clogged in the hose of your vacuum.
- Whenever you discover dirt on surface of your carpet, clean immediately in order to avoid the dirt particles to get sink deep in your carpet.
- Make sure that the filters and bags are occasionally checked for proper maintenance of your vacuum.
- Carpet cleaning requires you to move slowly so that dirt can be captured. So vacuuming at the right speed is crucial. Some slow passes will do that job that many fast passes would not do.
- Make sure all dusting and cleaning is done before you begin to vacuum.
- According to the instruction manual, if possible preheat stains on your carpet. Mix one drop of detergent in to hot water and put this liquid in spray bottle. Lightly spray in on dirty stained places on your carpet and leave for 5-10 minutes before you begin to clean.
- If you are using a wet and dry vacuum, make sure that you do not over wet your carpet. Make only one pass of solution, then make one pass with rinse solution and take 2-3 passes for drying to take off all the water/moisture from your carpet.
- Giving a perfect drying environment is important when you wet and dry clean carpet. Keep windows open, use fans along with dehumidifier or you can also put your AC on at a moderate temperature level to get rid of moisture. Make sure that the carpet is completely dried before walking on it or moving the furniture on. It would take some hours around 6-8.
Dirt accumulates between fibers of your carpet and walking across that dirty carpet would even grind the dirt particles deep inside that may become fussy to clean. This dirt and dust in your beautiful carpet makes it soiled and affects its beautiful appearance. It would affect the shine and would make your carpet look dull at some high-traffic dirty places. Following these tips and getting rid of dirt/dust before it makes your carpet filthy is recommended in order to avoid hassle of thorough and difficult cleaning that it may need after some time and would cost you more money. Make your carpet clean and as dirt-free as possible with your canister. Cleaning before it becomes completely dirty would save your time, hard work as well as money.