For the pet owner, pet hair can become a serious nuisance due to the difficulty faced in cleaning it. Although there are many vacuum cleaners for pet hair on the market that claim to get the job done, not all of them are as effective. We put together this resource to help you pick the best vacuum for pet hair based on expert advice and customer recommendations.
A quality pet hair vacuum should be able to pull cat and dog hair off bare floors as well as carpets, cushions, rugs and sofas. We also discuss the features you should look for when purchasing a vacuum for pet fur.
The Best Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner features:
- Durability: A durable vacuum provides the best value for money because you will use it for years before you need to buy a new one.
- Filtration: With powerful filtration, even the finest particles get pulled in by the vacuum. A HEPA approved vacuum will even be much better.
- Noise Level: Some vacuums for pet hair are too noisy due to their low quality build. Vacuuming can become a pain using such machines.
- Lengthy Cord: To avoid switching from one wall power outlet to another, make sure your vacuum has a lengthy power cord.
- Hose Length: It offers more flexibility in cleaning and better reach for tight and difficult spots.
- Cord Rewind: Auto-cord rewind can save you a bit of time.
- Washable Filter: Filters can get clogged with dust and hair over time. If they are not washable, they will need to be replaced which adds to the cost of ownership.
- Height Adjustment: If you opt for an upright vacuum for pet hair, check whether the height of the vacuum is adjustable.
- Capacity: Whether you pick a bagless vacuum or not, you will always want to have one with a bigger capacity. It would be also great if the vacuum offers some sort of indication when the bag or dirt cup is full.
- Storage: A quality vacuum for pet hair should be easy to store and take less storage space.
- Attachments: These interchangeable parts extend the reach and functionality of the vacuum and makes it suitable for doing specific cleaning tasks such as handling awkward spots, cracks, crevices, drapes, curtains, ceilings, etc.
- Maneuverability: A flexible and maneuverable vacuum can move around obstacles and furniture easily. It can also clean difficult areas more efficiently.
Types of Vacuums for Pet Hair:
The first thing you need to decide when shopping for a pet hair vacuum is its type. This can largely depend on the kind of environment you have in your house. In other words, are you going to use it to clean pet hair from hardwood floor, mattresses, stairs, furniture, etc.? Based on that you can decide whether you need a canister or upright vacuum for pet hair cleaning. Or you would probably go for a handheld pet hair vacuum. And if you do, will it be a corded or cordless vacuum?
If you have wall-to-wall carpet, consider what kind of fibers are used in the carpet before you make a choice. Maybe an upright vacuum cleaner will do a better job as it has a more powerful suction than other types of vacuums.
Hoover WindTunnel 3 Pro Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum, UH70931PC
The WindTunnel 3 Pro is a powerful vacuum for cleaning pet hair and more. With three separate channels of suction, it can clean dirt and debris even if they are located deep into the carpet. Regular vacuums provide only one suction channel. This means that the WindTunnel is at least 3 times more powerful than a regular vacuum cleaner. This pet vacuum is durable and comes with a reusable filter that is rinsable and washable for continuous use.
For efficient cleaning of pet hair, this Hoover vacuum comes with a pet tool pack. The turbo tool which makes part of the pack proves useful for upholstery, furniture and stairs. The telescopic extension wand is another great attachment that comes handy when cleaning crevices and pet hair in tight spots. The 27 feet cord and 10 foot hose provides incredible cleaning reach. The WindTunnel 3 Pro has a HEPA Media Filter that deals with dust, dirt and pollens. The filter’s carbon-layer absorbs odors from the air. All in all, this Hover pet vacuum is one of the best vacuums for pet hair on the market.
Dyson DC65 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The DC65 Animal Complete is manufactured by Dyson, which is a popular and reputable brand in the vacuum cleaner market. Some reviewers consider the DC65 to be the best upright vacuum for pet hair. It is comparatively more expensive than other models but it is packed with features and provides robust performance.
The design of this vacuum is very innovative and modern. The base of this vacuum looks like a ball for better maneuverability. As per the claims of Dyson, this upright vacuum features a 25% more powerful suction than other products in the same category. The redesigned brush bar is made of bristles that provide better penetration into carpets. As a result, pet hair that lies deep into carpets and cushions can now be cleaned effectively. The machine performs well on hard wood floors as well.
Similar to other Dyson vacuums, the DC65 has no disposable bag or filters that need constant cleaning. Thus, you will save money on filter and bag replacements.
BISSELL PowerGlide Pet Vacuum 1305 with Pet Hair TurboEraser Tool
The BISSELL pet vacuum is a powerful tool for cleaning dog hair. The SuctionChannel technology of this machine allows it to pick the hair that dogs constantly shed. The power control placed appropriately on the handle allows for swift adjusting of the brushroll operation mode. The BISSELL 1305 is great for vacuuming both carpets and hardwood floors. The special design of the cleaning head allows it to vacuum a wide 12.5 inch path.
The sophisticated filtration of the 1305 traps dust and dander which decreases the likelihood of allergies resulting from pet hair. Included in the package is a handheld tool for removing pet hair. This tool proves very effective for surfaces and areas which are out of reach for the full vacuum. These include stairways, upholstery, tight corners, etc. Overall, the PowerGlide pet vacuum provides excellent performance while still being very easy to use. These factors made us consider it one of the top vacuums for pet hair.